Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Extraordinary time for the Sox

I keep trying to explain to wife that we are not living in ordinary time when it comes to the Red Sox. That this is why after we get back late from birthing class I instantly flip on the game, for the last few innings, and that even though it looks like an ordinary listless midsummer loss, with a pall of trading deadline malaise and freak injuries in the air, I stick to it. Because David Ortiz is likely to come through with something like that. I know pretty well this is temporary, this is something we go through for a few years every decade or so. One of the beautiful things about being a Sox fan is that you know your team isn’t going to plunge into one of those death-spirals you see in markets that don’t take baseball seriously. But there is something in the air right now. I felt it during the game at Fenway I made it to this summer, a Monday afternoon makeup game that went into extra innings, and the whole time I wasn’t worrying about whether or not the guys could pull it off, but rather when they would finally finish up and win the damn thing already. It was that feeling I imagine Yankees fans have all the time. Granted, my wife doesn’t entirely believe that this weird moment of grace happens to conincide with our moving back to New England three years ago and we started getting NESN with basic cable. But I know full well this is a special time, and that’s its not enough to just read the box score everyday.

No comments: