Thursday, January 2, 2014

My favorite music of 2013

I suppose, to the extent that I "resolve" anything anymore, I'd like to pay more attention to the blog because…. well, someone ought to. So with that in mind, I found lying around my half-hearted list of best albums of 2013:


Things I really, really looked forward to and guess I like fine and all but… I like their other stuff so very much more…
The National, Trouble Will Find Me
Since High Violet is probably the best album to come out of the Great Recession, this was bound to disappoint a little. But good on them for staying in the right lane.

MGMT, MGMT
The first band of their generation that made me think the kids will be alright. But it seems they're in one of those "turning in on themselves" kinda moments. I can't wait until they come back!

Deerhunter, Monomania
I listened the heck out of Halcyon Digest, and they did such a good job exploring roots rock and melody etc. that it turned out to be a little boring. 

David Bowie, The Next Day
It's exciting he's still doing important, quality stuff after all these years. But he already worked through this stuff on Hours…

Nick Cave, Push the Sky Away
Just another Nick Cave album (a very high compliment).


I had no idea there was a chance I'd like this, but go fig, here we are...
Queens of the Stone Age, …Like Clockwork
Yes! I do like guitars!

Vampire Weekend, Modern Vampires of the City
Those super-catchy, skittery rhythms from pretentious Columbia nerds used to really bug me. But it's weird how well they're growing up.

Daft Punk, Random Access Memories
Hearing Wilco cover "Get Lucky" at Solid Sound last summer sealed how fantastic a pop song they've created.

Lorde, Pure Heroin
That song about Maybachs is hard to get out of your head, and I hope the point hits home (not a chance).


Despite the hype, only a 'm'yeah, s'alright'
Savages, Silence Yourself
Not a great sign when I'm more impressed by the layout of their feature profile on Pitchfork.


Very nice, but are they trying too hard?:
Haim, Days Are Gone
Sounds like a rockin' Christine McVie solo album.


No idea why everyone like this so much:
Chvrches, The Bones of What You Believe
This is like an entire album of interstitial music from Girls.


My favorites of 2013
Speedy Ortiz, Major Arcana
And listen, this album was recorded in Easthampton, Massachusetts. I can't even process how mind-blowing that is to me. My head hurts.

Arcade Fire, Reflektor
Still the most ambitious, thoughtful, and inspired rock band working today. Hearing Winn Butler publicly chatter about how the album was conceptually inspired by Kierkegaard could be insanely obnoxious, but just makes me love them so much more.

Foxygen, We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
These doomed kids really made my summer. Great melodramatic, vague songs about youth, love, and hope. As catchy as the Kinks, as relevant as MGMT (a year or two ago). It's a shame those two didn't make sure that they liked each other before creating something this awesome and bursting with potential.


I'm with Everyone else on this... This was the Very Best Album of 2013:
Kanye West, Yeezus
I'll admit, I only really gave this a serious listen because Lou Reed told me to, and he never let me down. This is the first hip-hop album I listened to from start to finish — as in, sitting in a room with headphones on and my eyes closed — since Licensed to Ill. Sharp-edged, angry, hilarious, hurting, this album changed the way I think about an entire genre. And extra-bonus points for that long sample from Hungarian hard rock classic "Gyöngyhajú lány."

No comments: