Wednesday, July 18, 2007

But would he put mayonnaise on salad?

This may be just another effort by a multinational corporation to introduce a new processed snack food into a the market, but at its heart this ad is pure Russian kookiness. Brazilian football superstar Ronaldhino is in line at an airport, and tries to steal potato chips from a Russian girl. She recognizes him, and makes him repeat after her: "I love mushrooms and sour cream." Not only is this a flavor combo I think only a Russian could love, I especially like the aggressive pushing of native foodways regardless of how untranslatable they are (kind of like when Olga tries to get me to eat salo). I also don't think Ronaldhino's people told him what was going on when he showed up on the set, giving it all a certain method-acting realism. Although I've never had this flavor of Lays chips -- and don't plan to keep an eye out for them -- the 'bacon' and 'green onion' varieties are actually really good.

No comments: