Saturday, December 8, 2007

No country for optimists

“Don’t you think you are being a little too hard on the Russian people towards the end,” my wife said after she read an early draft of this month’s Letter to Moscow in the Eagle.

“I have to take the Metro with the Russian people,” I scoffed. “I don’t think it is possible to be too hard on the Russian people about anything.”

I usually think this way for an hour or so after I get home -- Moscow is the only place I've ever lived where I have missed a stop because I couldn't get out of a crowded subway car, a monstrous way to end the work day. But after thinking about what Olga said, I gave it some thought and toned it down just a little bit. But I stand firm in the belief that if people here are to stop treating each other (and foreign guests) so unacceptably, it will take a major top to bottom attitude adjustment.

No comments: